Christian Blasphemous Idolatry
“Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shall not bow thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” (Exodus 20: 4-6)
“I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things I do declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.” (Isaiah 42:8-9)
We have been clearly commanded by God not to make any resemblance of anything that Jesus might have looked like. The statues, pictures and other distorted representations made are a direct disobedience to the word of God and possibly the greatest deception ever ‘sold’. Well, perhaps the merchandising surrounding Mary is greater but only God and those raking in the cash would know. Whatever, the pictures, statues, candles, paintings, medals, table cloths, ladies wraps, lamps, carvings, wall hangings, tapestries and other Jesus imagery articles being sold are simply about the making of money for man. But, for the devil they are about furthering deception, perpetuation of lies and robbing Christians of their potential rewards for living righteous in Christ Jesus.
Many people say that there is no harm to such things as hanging a medal around your neck or placing a ‘plastic Jesus’ statue on the dashboard of your car. These people declare such items turn your mind toward God. However, anything that violates His word certainly does not turn your mind toward God because it removes you from submission to Him and perpetuates a lie. The fact remains that all images created are part and parcel of a lie for Jesus was not a white man and he in no manner looked like the effeminate long haired fellow portrayed as hanging on the cross. This fact is easily proven from the word of God and does not take any degree of theological expertise. Actually, it is the opposite for the simplicity of the gospel of Christ shines through clearly if you simply pray, read the word and avoid the devil’s snares. The appeal spoken by Paul is the same given to you now: “But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.” (2Co 11:3) Anything that turns your mind toward a lie comes from the enemy for Jesus Christ is the Truth and nothing about the state of lying is of Him. Lies come only from the father of lies, Satan, the thief after your soul and doing all he can to rob you of eternal rewards. Let us take a brief look at some of the lies most evident in the images and portrayals of our Lord Jesus and see that the simplicity of appearance shall expose the truth.
1. Jesus was not a white man! He was a Jew of swarthy appearance and looked so much like everyone else that Judas needed to identify him through a treacherous kiss.
2. Jesus did not have long hair for he was not a Nazerite and the Jewish hairstyle of his day was much shorter than what is portrayed. Nazerites were dedicated from birth and identifiable by their long hair. This is partially why the Bible states it is a ‘shame for a man to have long hair like a woman’, because you are portraying yourself as something you are not and that makes you a participant in an evil deception or lie. Such was the case with David’s son Absalom who had great pride and eventually ended up ‘hung by his long hair’. His hair was truly symbolic of his shameful spiritual disposition. Our Lord Jesus was a Nazerene from Nazereth and his title was due to the physical location not ‘spiritual identification’ due to length of hair. Jesus was simply a Nazerene.
3. Jesus was not physically attractive looking and yet he is made to look so. “He has no form or comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.” (Isaiah 53:2)
4. The slight trickle of blood from the crown of thorns and the wound that shows in His side are also lying images. Why? Because Jesus was battered to a bloody pulp: “And many were astonished at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men.” (Isaiah 52:14)
5. Was he clothed with a loincloth? Some think not as he bore every type of indignity there was in going to and hanging on the cross. They feel it is doubtful his tormentors would have spared him the indignity of nakedness. However, this is conjecture for the Bible does not state it to be so and the custom of the time was for the Jew to be left his loincloth when hanging on the cross. I state this to make a point. We live by the truth of the Word, so until something is clearly evidenced from the Word we cannot with veracity claim it is so. If we do we are liars like those projecting the images of Jesus that we have been sold!
6. Was there a halo of light about him on the cross? There is no light mentioned in the Bible, but darkness is stated to be present for three hours. “Now from the sixth hour there was darkness all over the land unto the ninth hour.” (Matthew 27:45)
7. We could continue but herein we truly can grasp the simplicity of the gospel in this matter for Jesus was so commonplace in appearance that Judas had to identify him with a ‘kiss of betrayal’. If Jesus had looked similar to anything like the lying images you are being sold all Judas would have had to say to the ones going to seize Jesus is this: “Jesus, no problem! He is the one with the long hair that looks like an effeminate white man!”
What choice do I have but to scream out, ‘Repent you idolaters and you that perpetuate this mess of lies; you are making the Father’s house a source of merchandise’. (John 2:10) The filthy cash you are generating through your deceptions evidences your idolatry. Repent! It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God! The Bible tells us to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.” (1Th 5: 21-22) All the statues and images of Christ you push upon people have ‘the appearance of evil’ for they are nothing but a pack of lies! Repent you black merchandisers of men! And you that are being stolen from through buying this heathen trash need to repent quickly as well. Toss all your idols on the dung heap where they belong and stop participating in these lies. Get yourself out from the evil midst of this mess of pottage the devil is providing you with! Do not get buried in the rubble of Babylon as it falls upon the perpetrators of what is filthy abomination to my Lord! It is my prayer you shall be released today from this deception and bondage to walk in the freedom and truth that is Christ Jesus! If the Lord answers my prayer you will go from the ranks of heathen Yoke Makers to those of the Yoke Breakers setting captives free! May it be so through the Holy name of my Lord Jesus Christ, ‘for whom the son sets free is released from all bondages’. Jesus can do this for you “for he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (2 Peter 1:17) It pleases the Father to offer you freedom through Jesus this day to enter an intimacy with Him. So repent, get rid of your idols and remove yourself from the company of all idolaters polluting the Church, Or, like Jesus did, weave a whip and drive them out from your midst!